As a result, it is very important to consult with an experienced truck accident lawyer sooner rather than later to preserve the evidence and your rights.
One person out of every eight killed in an accident is killed in an accident when a semi-tractor trailer is involved, big truck or other big rig. Every year, half-a-million large trucks are involved in crashes on our roads. Of these, 5,000 are deadly and 94,000 of the wrecks result in an injury. Approximately 110,000 men, women and children die or get injured each year on our highways in crashes with semi-trucks.
Approximately 1 in every four big rigs inspected are found to be mechanically deficient and are determined to be illegal to operate on our roads. Law enforcement routinely forces them to be declared out of service. That totals an astounding 25% of all trucks on the highways right now.
The frightening data of injury, death, and unlawfully in service trucks are simply unacceptable. Changes must be made in the semi truck industry to guard our friends, our families, and the public from further tragic trucking accidents. Hiring an experienced Kansas City truck accident lawyer is crucial to protecting your rights after a wreck.
A big mistake most people make is to treat a wreck involving a big truck the same way they would a car crash. Beware, these two incidents are not even close and truck wrecks involve laws most people have never heard of. The complexities of a trucking crash are so much higher and much more difficult.
The first few days are crucial and a prompt investigation critical to gathering key evidence in order to win your case. In a perfect world, the truck driver would take responsibility and you would be paid for your damages. Unfortunately, in the real world that is imperfect. The truth is that good people just like you, often pay for the greed of the trucking companies. Similar to insurance companies, the trucking industry is about one thing: Profits. They will do anything to avoid paying a victim's injury claim even when it is clearly their responsibility.
Proving a big rig driver was negligent is a difficult and expensive task. It entails taking on a whole team of professional investigators, the professional truck driver, the professional insurance adjuster, AND a team of highly paid defense lawyers. Without an equally experienced and professional team on your side, you are a major disadvantage and frankly don’t stand much of a chance. To win your case and your damages, you need a team with the resources to hire the experts to measure your injuries, damages, and losses. Trucking companies are merciless and out-and-out dirty when it comes to paying accident claims.
There are unique laws governing the operation of semi-trucks. For example, trucks have weight limits on their loads. They also have very strict time limits on how long a driver is allowed to drive without rest. Far to Frequently, the trucking industry ignores these important laws and regulations in order to save money and increase profit.
IMPORTANT!!! Trucking companies only have to keep each drivers records for a short time period. If you do not hire an experienced lawyer that knows the trucking laws, all that evidence you need to win your case will be gone. The only way to recover from a truck crash is getting the evidence from the truck and to document your injuries, damages, and losses.
The size and weight of semi trucks cause considerably more and devastating damage to anyone in an ordinary car. Even if the wreck was partially your fault, you still can be entitled to a significant recovery for your damages. That is why it is so important to consult with an experienced Kansas City truck accident lawyer. Speak with one who knows the laws governing heavy trucks on Missouri and Kansas roads.
Victims of trucking accidents are entitled to compensation for their injuries from all at fault parties. That may include not only truck drivers but the trucking company that employ them and the government for dangerous roadway conditions, and auto manufacturers for the development defective products. However, one cannot fight insurance companies and corporations alone – If you have been in a trucking accident, you will need the services of a truck injury lawyer.
For your convenience when you contact our law offices you will immediately speak to a qualified auto accident lawyer who will be able to analyze the facts of your case and provide you with the optimum legal course of action available. An accident injury lawyer in Kansas City will be consulting with you quickly and efficiently to assist you.
Know your rights: Injured victims are entitled to monetary recovery for all losses and damages associated with a truck accident including:
Our team of Kansas City injury lawyers are dedicated to providing the legal representation required so that you can receive the highest monetary settlement or verdict possible. All initial consultations with one of our legal representatives is free of charge.
1. Stop your car and call and wait for the police to arrive. Never leave the scene of an accident.
2. Make sure that you and your passengers are all right and then check to see if anyone else is injured from the wreck. If someone is injured, call an ambulance immediately.
3. Make sure you do not move a person that is badly injured. The only exception if the person is in danger of greater injury by leaving them where they are. If you are injured, but not in danger, stay in your vehicle until help arrives.
4. Don’t move the car unless directed by the police. You should only move your vehicle if it is blocking a busy road. When in doubt, leave your car where it is until the police tell you it is okay to move your car.
5. Go to the hospital and have your injuries checked out. The sooner you get examined by a doctor, the better. Insurance companies love to make a big deal about saying you went later. They will say you weren’t hurt because you waited before seeing a doctor. Avoid this insurance ploy and get checked out as soon as you can after the wreck.
6. Take photographs. Take pictures of the vehicles, skid marks, traffic signs, and points of view that each driver would have had before the wreck.
7. Collect any evidence including the identity of witnesses to establish the other driver was at fault. Get the truck drivers name, address, and insurance company, as well as the truck owner’s information.
8. Cooperate with the police and tell them what happened.
9. Do not give any statements to any other “investigators” for the trucking company. Do not give a recorded statement to anyone without speaking to an experienced Kansas City truck accident lawyer first.
Copyright © 2017 McCollum Injury Law Firm - All Rights Reserved.